Criminal charges are a serious matter, whether you’re facing a traffic offense, DUI, or a felony, your livelihood and freedom are at risk. You need a dedicated and experienced attorney to guide you through the criminal proceedings and to represent you, putting forth a solid defense. Thomas F. McGuire has the experience and skill to defend you against both state and federal criminal charges.
Owner of the Law Office of Thomas F. McGuire – Defending individuals accused of committing criminal acts; traffic, misdemeanor and felony offenses. Counseling individuals who are being investigated by law enforcement.
Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office
- Assigned to the Felony Trial Division, 26th and California, Judge Dennis Porter – Assigned to the Felony Trial Division, Second District – Assigned to the Felony Trial Division, Sixth District- In all felony courtroom assignments, managed the court call, produced discovery and litigated motions to suppress in cases ranging from possession of narcotics to first degree murder. Litigated numerous trials before both the bench and juries. Made plea recommendations. Worked closely with scores of law enforcement agencies. Interviewed hundreds of witnesses and dealt with a multitude of victims and their families.
- Assigned to Branch 66-Homicide/Sex Crimes Unit- Reviewed many homicide and sexual assault cases to determine whether they should be held over and prepared relevant witnesses. Took the cases from the moment of charging through bond hearings and used the grand jury to lock in witnesses and indict offenders.
- Assigned to the Preliminary Hearing Unit in the First District – Argued hundreds of felony preliminary hearings involving thousands of witnesses, both law enforcement officers and civilians. Reviewed each case to determine whether it should be held over and prepared relevant witnesses.
- Assigned to the Felony Review Unit, 26th and California – Reviewed hundreds of cases to determine whether to impose criminal charges against suspects. Worked closely with Chicago Police Department and many suburban police departments. Took numerous statements of witnesses and defendants. Worked with the Sex Crimes Division in investigating criminals using the internet to solicit children and offenders who held positions of trust and authority over their victims.
- Assigned to the Second Municipal District – Tried misdemeanor cases of all types, as well as several felony preliminary hearings. While assigned to felony review, examined cases to determine what, if any, criminal charges should be lodged against suspects. Assisted in felony trials.
- Assigned to the Juvenile Justice Bureau – Litigated hundreds of cases in the Abuse and Neglect Division involving children who were abused and/or neglected by their parents/guardians or caregivers. Litigated protective custody issues and participated in adjudication hearings involving the termination of parental rights.
- Assigned to Traffic Division – Litigated significant traffic-related cases including DUI and driving on suspended license before the court, as well as many jury trials. Participated in motion to suppress and civil hearings to determine whether driving privileges would be suspended or revoked.
Cook County, Office of the Chief Judge – Staff Attorney Researched legal issues pertaining to pretrial, trial and post-trial motions tendered to trial court. Wrote draft orders pertaining to postconviction petitions. Assisted Judge Bertina Lampkin in researching issues regarding Illinois Supreme Court Rules 604 and 605, “Making a Record” and the Illinois Pattern Jury Instructions Committee.
Oliver’s Cases, Inc. – Legal Editor Categorized and wrote summaries of appellate court decision for online subscribers.
Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office Felony Trial Division, 26th and California – 711-Licensed Law Clerk Assisted the State’s attorneys with felony case preparation; prepared witnesses for trial. Researched and wrote briefs in response to defense counsels’ legal arguments. Prepared and argued motions to suppress, motions to quash arrest and motions to reconsider the courts’ previous rulings. Performed other office tasks as needed.
Smith, Hurd & Associates – Law Clerk Assisted attorneys in legal research. Drafted and filed motions, complaints and pleadings with the Clerk’s Office. Drafted appellate court brief in medical malpractice case concerning law of the case issue.
Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office Public Interest Division, Mental Health & Elder Abuse 711 – Licensed Law Clerk Interviewed and prepared witnesses for writs of detention, involuntary commitment hearings and involuntary medication hearings at the Daley Center and Chicago-Read Mental Health Facility. Gave closing argument in involuntary medication hearing before Judge Nancy Arnold. Assisted State’s attorneys in legal research on mental health issues.
DePaul College of Law Research Assistant to Professor Susan Bandes Researched legal issues and topics contained in Professor Bandes’ law review articles regarding criminal procedure and legal ethics. Cite-checked cases, photocopied materials and performed other office tasks.
Holy Family Health Center Intern in Risk Management Department Assisted Director of Risk Management Department. Researched legal issues concerning tort liability.
DePaul College of Law, Chicago, Illinois Juris Doctorate, June 2000 Admitted to practice before the Illinois Supreme Court, November 2000 ·
- Phi Delta Phi Law Fraternity
- Dean’s List
DePaul School of Education, Chicago, Illinois Graduate Studies, 1994-1996
- Completed 33 hours
- Phi Delta Phi Honorary
- Kappa Delta Pi Honorary
DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois; Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science, June 1994
- Alden Scholar
- Political Science Honor Society
Contact attorney Thomas F. McGuire today at 847.962.7187 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your needs.